Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Designers Embracing Technology

To stay abreast with the latest design trends, I attend quite a few workshops hosted at one of my favorite places for designers, ADAC (Atlanta Decorative Art Center).  Whenever there is a week series at ADAC, one of the workshops will always discuss social media.  What I find amazing is how so many designers (old and new), have not embraced social media.  I will be totally honest with you, it was my web designer who really put a fire under my butt and told me that it was imperative that I embrace this trend.  Embracing social media in a media driven society is key to growing your business.  Social media for a designer or any business keeps you on the cutting edge. Hence, why I am writing a weekly blog while taking a road trip with my family (tethering made this possible). Blogging helps with your search enigines.

Flickr








So, the question I asked myself and probably other designers who have not taken on this daunting task of technology, how does this make me a better designer? This can be intimidating for some of the older designers.  Let the truth be told, I was intimidated by all of this! Perhaps intimidated is the wrong word in my case.  Time consuming better suites me.  According to Rhonda E. Peterson, one of my favorite bloggers, "Not only does technology keep you on the cutting edge, it makes you a point of reference." I will admit that blogging has helped my business and allowed me to reach other markets.  I have been approached by online magazines on the West Coast about my design work.  This would not have been possible had I not started writing weekly blogs (I am based out of Atlanta). Yes my friends, I have slowly but surely welcomed "Social Media" with opened arms.  I am not a better designer because of technology.  More people are aware that I am a designer because of technology.  I have expanded my reach!

Until next week,
XO

Terrell Dinkins
Residential Designer
Atlanta Interiors Design









1 comment:

  1. Terrell, social media is a beast that can be tamed! But it's not going to happen by hiding under the covers! I'm so glad to hear that you are embracing it and all that it has to offer! Make it AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...